Contraception Services (Family Planning)
Prevention is better than cure and this applies equally well to unwanted and unplanned pregnancies. According to the National Statistics, over 189,000 women underwent an abortion in 2009, with the highest rate in women in their late teens and early twenties age group. An unwanted pregnancy results in considerable physical and emotional and anxiety and this can be prevented by the use of appropriate and effective contraceptive methods.
At Lotus Healthcare, our doctors are trained in the provision of the full range of contraceptive services and hold the diploma of the Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Healthcare of The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
The range of contraceptive methods includes:
- Barrier methods including male and female sheath and diaphragm.
- Hormonal contraceptive methods including the combined and mini pill (progesterone only pill).
- Hormone injections.
- IUCD (coil).
- Mirena IUS. This is an IUCD device which slowly releases hormones and is particularly useful for women who suffer from heavy periods. It is also an effective contraceptive method.
- Contraceptive injections which last for two to three months depending on the brand used. These are highly effective and avoid the need to remember to take a pill on a daily basis.
- Contraceptive implant (Nexplanon). This is a contraceptive device which is inserted under the skin. This is highly effective and again avoids the need to remember to take a pill on a daily basis. This method lasts for three years and can be removed at any time.
Apart from the contraceptive methods, Lotus Healthcare also provides a full range of screening for sexually transmitted conditions as well as cervical smear.